A guest lecture for the Preservation of Books, Photos and Archival Material’s course (SCIE0047) in Fleming College’s Cultural Heritage Conservation and Management program, (session instructor Laura Cunningham) on June 16, 2017.
Overview of the digitization process
The Digital Public Library of America (DPLA) has published one of the best quick overviews of how to set up a digitization programme that I have seen.
- Digital Public Library of America. Public library partnerships project curriculum. [https://dp.la/info/about/projects/public-library-partnerships/]. Accessed: June 10, 2017. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
Thinking about how to save your information and documents for the long term is a good way to start thinking about digital preservation in general. This next resource frames the problem and discusses it systematically and in clear language.
- Library of Congress. Personal archiving: Preserving your digital memories. [http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/personalarchiving/]. Accessed June 10, 2017. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
About images (less technical)
- Cookson, Graeme. Digital Imaging Basics, c2014. [http://shutha.org/digital-image-basics]. Accessed: June 10, 2017.
- Murray, L.J. and S.E. Trusow. Canadian copyright : a citizen’s guide (2nd ed.). Toronto : Between the Lines, c2013. 304 p. ISBN 9781771130134
- Using examples, case studies and very accessible language, this book explains Canadian copyright law to ordinary Canadians and how Canadian copyright law and policy affects them.
- The second edition is revised to include the recent changes to the Act and important Supreme Court decisions on user rights. Very easy to read. Includes specific cases (for example, libraries, archives and museums). HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
- CHIN. Professional Exchange website lists Canadian resources and advice for museums.
- Ng, K.B. and J. Kucsma (ed.). Digitization in the Real World (2010).. Available for download under a CC license at [https://archive.org/details/DigitizationInTheRealWorld]. Accessed: June 10, 2017.
- Canadian Council of Archives.
- Digitization and archives (Oct 2002) [http://www.cdncouncilarchives.ca/digitization_en.pdf]. Accessed: June 10, 2017.
- Step-by-step guide to digitization projects (n.d.) [http://www.cdncouncilarchives.ca/DigitisationToolkitv2.pdf]. Accessed: June 10, 2017.
- Northeast Document Conservation Centre Handbook for digital projects: A management tool for preservation and access (2000). [http://www.nedcc.org/assets/media/documents/dman.pdf]. Accessed: June 10, 2017.
Digital preservation (a very complex topic)
- Library of Congress. Digital preservation website. Accessed: June 10, 2017.
- Digital Preservation Coalition. Digital preservation handbook. [http://www.dpconline.org/handbook/contents]. Accessed: June 10, 2017.
- State Archives and State Library of North Carolina. Digital preservation best practices and guidelines. [http://digitalpreservation.ncdcr.gov/index.html] Accessed: June 10, 2017. Very readable.
- Foundation of the American Institute for Conservation. CoOL: Conservation online. [http://cool.conservation-us.org/topics.html]. Accessed: June 10, 2017.
- Open Preservation Foundation. Open Preservation Foundation website [http://openpreservation.org/]. Accessed: June 10, 2017.
Note: This used to be called Open Planets Foundation.
I include these so that you can see a sample of what they look like.
- Canadian Museum of Civilization. Digitisatization Standards for the Canadian Museum of Civilization (2006). [http://www.pro.rcip-chin.gc.ca/media/pro/normes_numerisation_smcc-digitization_standards_cmcc/smcc_numerisation-cmcc_digitization-eng.pdf]. June 10, 2017.
- National Library of Australia. Digitisation guidelines: Image capture standards. [http://www.nla.gov.au/standards/image-capture]. Accessed: June 10, 2017.
- State Library of Queensland. Digital Standard 2 – Digital capture & format (version 3.01, April 2012). [http://www.slq.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/139815/digital_standards_2.pdf]
Accessed: June 10, 2017.
- UMass Amherst Libraries. Guidelines for Digitization. [http://www.library.umass.edu/assets/Digital-Strategies-Group/Guidelines-Policies/UMass-Amherst-Libraries-Best-Practice-Guidelines-for-Digitization-20110523-templated.pdf]. Accessed: June 10, 2017.
- NISO. Understanding Metadata. Bethesda, MD: NISO, 2004. 20 p. [http://www.niso.org/publications/press/UnderstandingMetadata.pdf]. Accessed: June 10, 2017.
- Also, have a look at some of the existing standards in use in libraries, archives and museums.